5 Daily Exercises That Promote a Healthy Spine
We put a lot of pressure on our spine every day without noticing. Whenever we lift something or bend over to pick something off the ground, we involve our spine and its muscles. If we don’t stretch it out or strengthen it daily, it can lead to harmful consequences in the future.
We’ve written out five simple exercises you can start doing today to help you gain a healthy spine.
Back Flexion Exercise
The flexion exercise is great for stretching out your neck and lower back. To perform the flexion exercise, do the following:
- Lay on a flat surface.
- Bring your knees all the way to your chest.
- Bring your head to your knees.
- Hold the position for about 10-15 seconds
- Repeat 3-4 times.
Don’t forget to engage your breathing properly while performing this exercise. Take a deep breath before fixing yourself in the position. Once you bring your knees to your chest and your head to your knees, exhale.
Knee To Chest
This is another great exercise to stretch out your lower back and to align your spine and should be included in your daily practices.
- Lay on a flat surface.
- Bring one knee to your chest while the other leg remains extended.
- Bring your knee close to your chest and hold it for a few seconds.
- Repeat with the other leg.
You can repeat this exercise up to 5 times with each leg. Try doing it before bed to improve your sleep quality or right when you wake up, so you can ease any tension built up overnight.
This exercise is aimed to strengthen your lower back muscles, as well as your hamstrings and glutes.
- Lay on a flat surface with your knees bent and approximately shoulder-width apart.
- Gently raise your glutes and hips off the floor while keeping your shoulders on the ground.
- Hold this position for 5-10 seconds.
- Do three reps of 10 each.
Don’t rush through the exercise. Take your time and repeat the exercise gently.
Hip Crossover Stretch
Another simple yet beneficial exercise to improve spine health is the hip crossover stretch. To perform this exercise, you must:
- Lay on a flat surface with your knees bent.
- Cross your ankle on the opposite knee.
- Pull your knee to your shoulder using your hands.
- Hold the position for about 30 seconds
- Repeat on each side three times.
The hip crossover stretch helps to stretch out the piriformis muscle, which is located right above your hip joint. It’s important to stretch this muscle, as it’s connected to lower back pain most of the time.
The superman is one of the most effective exercises to strengthen your back. To perform a superman, you must:
- Lie down on a flat surface facing down.
- Make sure your toes are pointed out, and your forehead is on the floor.
- Stretch your arms straight in front of you.
- Lift your hands and feet off the ground while engaging your back muscles, hamstrings, and glutes.
- Each time you lift, hold the position for 10 seconds.
To perform this exercise, make sure you’re fully concentrated. You must engage the right muscles for these exercises because if not, you could end up worsening your back pain.
Maintain a Healthy Spine
Practicing these back exercises daily will help you maintain a healthy spine and reduce the pain and tension accumulated in your back. Before putting into practice these exercises, you should contact a professional to make sure you won’t do anything that might harm your back even further.
At All Spine Care, we’re ready to evaluate your situation and help you with any back problems you may be facing. Contact us today!